Wednesday 17 February 2010

Working a trout pout?!

I got my Inman Aligner today. :o)
I did get a phonecall from the surgery this morning trying to rearrange my appointment because Mr Dentist is poorly again but I explained that I was only picking up my IA and could I just do that...? They agreed and off I went. Saw a different dentist obviously who was nice.

So, the big reveal of my new IA. It looks ok. Looks exactly how I expected to be honest.
Infact almost identical to this except mine is totally transparent.



The different dentist (I don't know his name so I will cal him Colin) explained about my new brace, that it was based on a push/pull theory with the springs. I'll be honest, I didn't really hear what Colin was talking about. I was far too excited. He fitted it for me.

Basically, they're all made specific to the individual so they'll be different but mine has a clear acrylic bar that goes across the front of my teeth, a spring mounted acrylic bar that pushes behind my teeth, 2 wired gap things that fit around one of my back teeth on each side.

It seemed to be quite easy to fit. Went in straight away. Was waiting for it to hurt or snap into place and it didn't. I'd read that it hurt when you put it in and took it out. I was a little worried that it wasn't hurting. It still doesn't hurt.

I fitted it myself and it really is easy. It just sort of fits at the back and then you just adjust the bar to the front and then adjust the bit at the back. Because of this self adjustment I now think I'm doing it wrong.

Also, it feels massive in my mouth. I knew it would. It's not uncomfortable at all but where my tongue has normally had the whole of my spacious mouth for a home, it feels like someone's just put up a fence up and cordoned off the roof of my mouth. I'm sure i'll get used to it. Speech is amusing. I can't pronounce a lot of words. I'm struggling with C, D,, G (G is REALLY hard which is great because the company I work for starts with a G!!) J is near on impossible, S, T is tricky too and SH's are hard. I think it's funny. Answering the phone will be hilarious for a week or so!
Overall though I'm really pleased with it so far. One evening in and the worst thing about it is that because my wonky fang teeth protrude (they're actually my upper lateral incisors but I've been calling them wonky fang teeth for so long!), the bar that straightens them at the front is sitting on top of them. There's a gap between the bar and my central incisors and because the bar at the front is about 2mm thick, it's pushing my top lip out. I look like Leslie Ash at her worst. I look like I've been punched in the mouth. I look like I've had an accident with a Botox needle. Still, slap on the lip gloss and rock it like you have to. People pay good money for this.....

I've got an appointment for next Wednesday for shaving.... I kinda haven't mentioned that bit yet. I'm a bit scared about it. I'll let you know more when I know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment